A lot of pet owners are now discovering that it is more convenient and cost and time saving to groom their dog at home. There are other benefits of DIY dog grooming at home. You get the chance to bond with your dog and know him better when you groom your dog yourself.
It is really important to have everything you need at hand so you can continue the grooming process without any distractions. It will help you stay organized and it is easier on the dog. Below are some of the things and tips on grooming a dog at home:
1. Tub: It is advisable to have a raised tub for your dog if you will be grooming your dog long term. With a raised tub you will be able to was and groom your dog at an easy height. You can bath smaller dogs in a baby bath that you set on a table for stability.
2. Brushes: Brushing your dog should be a regular thing. It helps remove loose hair and stimulates the skin. There are several types of brushes in the market, choose the one that is most appropriate for your dog’s size and one that has soft rubber bristles.
3. Nail Clippers: This is used to clip your dog’s toenails. Clip it carefully to avoid causing your dog pain.
4. Rake: You can use this to remove matted hair that is common among dogs with longer hair. You can also use a comb but it tends to cause the dog pain.
5. Natural Shampoo and Conditioner: A regular part of the grooming process is bathing. You cannot use human shampoo and conditioner for your dog, they can cause allergies and dry skin. Get the specially formulated hair products that are meant for dogs.
6. Towels: Specifically set aside some towels for your dog. You will need these when you want to dry your dog after a bath.
7. Power Clippers: You will use this to trim your dog’s coat. Using a power clipper instead of regular trimmers will make the process easier and faster.
DIY dog grooming is a process that helps strengthen the bond between you and your dog and it also saves you time and money.