Believe it or not the skin problems on your dog are most likely due to allergies. Much like humans, dogs acquire allergies. However in humans, most allergies symptoms take form in the nasal passage way, for dogs most of their allergic reactions happen on the skin. So how can you tell that your dog may have allergies?
HERE ARE THE FIVE MOST COMMON SIGNS:
1. Itching: The itching may be most severe on feet, flanks, groin and armpits
2. Hot Spots: Hot spots may develop due to irritation from constant chewing or scratching, which is then followed by infection.
3. Skin becomes thickened, greasy and has a strong odor.
4. Ear flaps may become red and hot. Chronic ear infections may follow.
5. Other symptoms include anal itching, shaking of the head, ear inflammations, licking front paws, rubbing faces on carpeting
A common misconception is that dogs are only sensitive to poor quality of dog food. If your dog is allergic to an ingredient it doesn’t matter whether it is in an expensive brand or the cheapest bag on the shelf. One advantage to premium foods is that some stay away from typical fillers that are often the cause of allergic reactions.
Make sure you make a visit to a veterinarian if you observe any of these symptoms: vomiting or diarrhea, as they could be caused by a more serious underlying medical condition.
The best way to keep your dog happy is to make sure their health is in check. Don’t overlook the smallest symptoms of biting, itching and chewing, and don’t underestimate the more serious symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea. Keep in touch with your veterinarian as they will know what steps to take next.